Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 2 - Today I drank milk.

So, picture it if you will. I am hurrying home tonight - already close to 6:30 and late for when I said I'd be home for dinner. As I am driving along, I begin having a conversation in my head...

"So - it's only day 2 -  what'd you do for yourself today?"

"Um....well, it was a really busy day at work - lots to do....year end, you know."

"OK - well, you're committed to this project aren't you? So, what'd you do?"

loooong pause

"Well, when I got lunch today I really thought about it and got milk instead of Diet Soda. Seemed a much healthier choice (for my body) than soda....and I really, really thought about it - I NEVER get milk."

"Milk? That's the best you can do? Milk?"

**Thinks hard** "Yup - that's the best I can do."

OK - so besides the fact that I was actually having a 2 way conversation with myself in my head - which may be a topic all on it's own, I came to the realization that this is going to be really hard sometimes. I mean it has to be about more than milk doesn't it? Or does it?

Is it possible, that some days the small moments of conscious thought and deliberate choices can really make a difference? That instead of knee jerk reactions that make us do the same things over and over (which then, of course, give us the same results...surprise, surprise), actually giving some thought to making better choices really does help to start to turn the corner. Maybe slowing down and giving the kids 2, 3 or 4 kisses on the way out the door instead of barely skimming one over their cheeks. Maybe sharing a quiet moment to just breathe in and out before getting on to the next task. Maybe thinking about what would be really nourishing for M, B, and S instead of grabbing the most convenient thing. Maybe it's all these things.

Is this a cop out? Milk? I mean really? Somehow, the more I think about it I think not. This is about the journey - not the destination. It's about getting to the place where the choices I make really do support my goal of being whole in mind, body and spirit every day- and every step I take helps me get a little closer.

So, step one. Milk.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, I love this post! You are a pro at this whole Blogging thing :o)

    ReplyDelete