Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 3 - Starbucks - He's starting to damage my calm.

So, now we are into day 3....which was a long, long day. Started really early, far too much to do and feel behind in everything and more than a bit overwhelmed. So my husband, being the swell guy he is ushered me off to Starbucks after dinner for some quiet time and a cuppa decaf something.

Now in a post for another day, we'll get into how hard it is sometimes to let someone just do something nice for you and how hard he has to work to get me out of the house for alone time, but for now, this is the story of the Starbucks guy.

So, I am sitting there, quietly enjoying my soy green tea latte (which rocks, by the way. If you haven't tried it, you really should - but I digress), book in hand sunk into a comfy chair. No one yelling "Mom, Mom!" No need to pick up any messes, no dishes to wash or bills to pay, envisioning my post for the evening about my quiet time at the end of a crazy day. Pretty close to perfect.

Then it started. You see, I had the bad luck to be there in the last hour they were open. So, it was apparently clean up time. All around me he swept, wiped, he moved furniture around, he talked to his fellow workers who happened to be in the FAR CORNER OF THE COFFEE SHOP, SO TO BE HEARD, HE HAD TO TALK REALLY LOUDLY.

Now, mind you they close at 9. This was 8:20. Hardly the last few minutes of the evening, but apparently it was really, really critical that they work around me as much as possible so I was clear that they were closing soon and were dead serious about getting out of there. Trust me - you don't have to sweep under my feet twice for me to get the message. I downed the tea, bookmarked my spot and got the heck out of dodge.

Now just so you understand, all was not lost. I got a good solid handful of quiet time in - at least a half a grande beverage's worth - and trust me that's no mean feat. So...for now, I'll take what I can get. A husband who cares enough to kick me out from time to time. A love of short stories that means I got at least one good read in, and enough education now to know that next time I feel like relaxing at my neighborhood coffee shop, I need to do it a wee bit earlier...or bring earplugs.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, this post had me literally laughing out loud!!! Husbands! Sometimes they just do not get it.

    I am also on "Day 3" of my own personal challenge,so far so good on this end (other than the whole glitter and chicken experience!)

    So, your hubby works at Starbucks? I Seriously think I keep them in business,I go there ever-single-day. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - sorry if that wasn't clear - my husband was actually the good guy in all this. He kicked me out of the house to go get some well needed peace and quiet. The Starbuck's guy - was a young 'un oblivious to life around him who didn't realize that BY TALKING TO HIS BRO ACROSS THE ROOM....he was coming dangerously close to becoming a coffee statistic.

    ReplyDelete